Subject: Re: [docbook] marking up a play

2008/10/29 Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk>:
> Nic Gibson wrote:
>
>>> personae (sp?) is a needed wrapper?
>>>
>>> Nothing at http://wiki.docbook.org/topic/PublishersMinimalElements  that
>>> strikes me as clear for
>>> <cast>
>>> <role>
>>> <name>Othello</
>>> <para> A right tart</
>>> </
>>>
>>> It is a bit 'peculiar' to a play Scott?
>
>> We added <direction> as a block level element and <inlinedirection> as
>> an inline element. We felt that these had enough additional semantic
>> value that it was worth adding. We definitely thought that they were
>> drama specific - they would work for screenplays as well as stage
>> plays I think.
>
> What of the persona Nic? (Only goes back to 1958 as 'personas')
>
> How did you mark up the cast of characters?

I was vaguely glossing over that as we have a <cast> element which
contains <role> elements and our experience with conversions so far
suggests that we have it fairly wrong so I'm currently open to
suggestions on how to do this well as well as rethinking our current
schema.

Also, cast is not the same as the list of characters (many of our
texts list 'the cast of the first performance')

cheers

nic

--
Nic Gibson