Subject: dbhtml pi and parsing

hi,
I have a figure that will include an xhtml file when it's processed by the docbook xslt stylesheet:

<figure xml:id="allg4" remap="Listing">
  <?dbhtml-include href="/home/htm/allg4.htm" ?>
</figure>

But I get an error from the xerces parser with this command line:
/usr/local/bin/java -Dorg.apache.xerces.xni.parser.XMLParserConfiguration= \
                                      org.apache.xerces.parsers.XIncludeParserConfiguration  \
                                      -jar /u/tiarno/freebsd/oNVDL/bin/onvdl.jar /DocBook/V5.0/docbook.nvdl  filename.xml

The error is "error: unfinished element", apparently referring to the processing instruction.

what am I doing wrong?

 thanks for any advice,
--Tim Arnold