Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: XInclude 1.1 Requirements

On 2.4.2012 19:41, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
>> In the course of trying to work out how best to address transclusion requirements
>> for DocBook, some of us concluded that we should try to push this feature further
>> up the stack. We've got concrete evidence of progress now:
>>
>>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-xinclude-11-requirements-20120214/
>
> It would be very useful to get some review of these requirements.
> Naturally, we want to know about any cases where you think the
> proposal is inadequate, but in terms of judging interest it would be
> valuable to hear just that you read it, care, and think it sounds
> good.

Hi Norm,

I read it, I care and it sounds good :-)

I think that requirements, if implemented in XInclude V.next can be used
to implement transclusions.

However there are few issues which will need careful consideration:

1. Which attributes to copy? I tend to think that only namespaced
attributes which are not in XInclude namespace should be copied.

2. Should be xml:id copied to included root element? If so, should it
silently override original xml:id if present? Should there be way to
obtain original xml:id? Or can this be left outside XInclude and it
application will use their own attribute to override xml:id?

3. Profiling on XInclude. It should be possible to specify effectivity
attributes on XInclude, of course in DocBook namespace, like:

<xi:include href="topic.xml" db:security="private"/>

Of course then DocBook processing will have to cope with situations when
after XInclude we will get inconsistency between local attribute and
attribute augmented by XInclude:

<section db:security="private" security="public>...</section>

Nothing unmanageable, but it will make processing little bit more
difficult and we will have to define how this will be handled for DocBook.

4. Language fixup. I hate it, probably it would be too big change to
remove it from XInclude.

But overall I think it was good of you to convince us to go XInclude way.

				Jirka