Subject: Re: DSML 2.0 "wish list" from NetworkMagazine.com

Disclaimer: I'm not a XML expert.

James Tauber wrote:

> - Mapping of LDAP functions to DSML to enable directory access,
> and read and write operations over HTTP for firewall traversal

This is as senseless as the object broker thing over HTTP to
overcome "the firewall problem". Well, why do we have firewalls at
all? And LDAP clients could use HTTP CONNECT if the web proxy allows
it => "the firewall problem" is IMHO not really an issue.

> and directory-enablement of Web applications;

Pretty general...

> - Publishing the hierarchical directory information of a
> DSML-enabled directory service;

Hmm, this seems interesting: One could imagine to define the
hierarchical structure of the web service as hierarchical directory
information. If the LDAP server or a gateway provides retrieving
DSML over HTTP you can easily manage a directory-based web layout.
Maybe this idea is not really new for you... ;-)

> - Identifying and profiling the source of DSML-encoded directory
> schemata and entries;
>
> - Translating directory elements and attributes between DSML and
> legacy file formats;

Hmm, "legacy file formats" means you have to write a converter
anyway. The only legacy file formats you could easily convert to are
formats which are also XML-based. Well, e.g. XSL is a programming
language too but it might be easier.

> - Signing and encrypting DSML-encoded directory schemata and
> entries to ensure that unauthorized parties don't modify them.

That would be the most significant advantage when comparing DSML
with other solutions/formats!

Ciao, Michael.