dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] TSTInfoType

At 07:03 PM 10/23/2003 -0400, Dimitri Andivahis wrote:

>Trevor,
>
>As far as the <TstInfo>, I think the extra "name"
>attribute is all that's needed so we can use the
>same <TstInfo> definition for tokens that carry
>no ds:Signature/KeyInfo/KeyName field.

If the <TstInfo> was re-used inside such a token, though, this token could
probably carry the name attribute; so the name attribute might not be
needed in the <TstInfo>.  And if we did put the name attribute inside the
<TstInfo>, the attribute would be redundant when the <TstInfo> is used
inside a ds:Signature type of token.

>The current definition of <Tst> is not open to
>extensions when the token is not signed.  I would
>argue for a token definition where the token
>includes the <TstInfo>, possibly the <LinkingInfo> or
>other elements to be determined in the future,
>and possibly (minOccurs="0") an enveloped <ds:Signature>
>over the token.

That makes sense.  The wd-03 <Tst> format has the nice feature, though,
that since it's of <ds:SignatureType> it's easy to handle with XML-DSIG
software.

Is it a reasonable compromise to say that our XML timestamps MUST always be
signed, but they could have linking information as well?  Then our
timestamps are always backwards-compatible.  A non-linking implementation
can *always* verify a time-stamp, but a linking implementation can take
advantage of the higher degree of assurance that linking offers.

Is this a good way forward?

Trevor