dss message

Subject: Time-stamp protocol

Hi,

While starting to write text as requested by ANSI9F,
I have found something that I would like to comment.
In the Verification protocol, section 4.2.2,
when speaking of the response, it says:

"The server MUST return the <dss:SigningTime> optional output,
as defined in [DSSCore] with its ThirdPartyTimestamp attribute
set to False."

Well, in the core, section 4.6.5, when explaining contents of
<dss:SigningTime> it is written:

"The <SigningTime> optional output contains an indication of when
the signature was performed, and a boolean attribute that indicates
whether this value is attested to by a third-party
timestamp authority (if true), or only by the signer (if false).  "

I understand that the name of the attribute itself clearly indicates
that if its value is true is because a third party, which is a time-stamp
has attested the time...the time-stamp verification protocol puts the
question: what if the signer itself is a TSA and the signature is
in fact a time-stamp? Obviously there is not any third party attesting
the time, but the fact is that the time is actually attested by the
signer  because the signer IS a TSA...

I would say that the relevant issue is whether this attribute should
indicate if there is any kind of assertion on the time or whether this
assertion has been made by a third party (ie, someone which is not the
signer)....

Juan Carlos.