dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] Is a single <Schema> element adequate?

Tommy Lindberg wrote:
> Hi Trevor -
>
> I had accepted bloated payloads as a result of transfering schemas
> inline :) I even wrote the code to do it, but based on what you are
> saying it looks like I may have misunderstood the intended usage of
> the <Schema> element.
>

>>I think it's possible to chop down such a schema into a single
>>one that contains everything needed?
>

> I have never had to that. You wouldn't have an example handy?

No - and I may be wrong.  It might not be possible to define things in
different namespaces with a single schema.

Earlier, we used DTDs for this, which may be more flexible.  See
http://www.aleksey.com/xmlsec/faq.html, section 3.2, for an example.

The server only needs to identify ID attributes in the situation where a
<ds:Reference> uses a null URI and an XPointer expression, and the
client doesn't pass the server the exact Input Documents that match the
<ds:Reference>s (so the server has to resolve the <ds:Reference>s by
itself).

We could decide not to support that case, and require the client to
always send Input Documents that match all the <ds:Reference>s.  That
may be more work for the client, and may result in larger protocol messages.

Trevor