Subject: RE: [ebxml-bp] BPSS executability and where it ends

Serm's conclusions and observations are in line with my own, with regard to
what is/is not achievable using BPSS.

I present the actual business cases I'm working on to describe what I
believe BPSS needs to provide, in order to be beneficial (to me).

First, I'll provide some background about my project areas, this will be
followed by a description of the Service Oriented Architecture being
developed in these project areas and lastly I describe the "missing pieces"
which BPSS may be able to fill, some day.

Background:

Electric markets around the world are deregulating. Utility companies are
being split into separate legal entities and information exchange which was
department-to-department within a utility are transformed into
business-to-business information exchanges. In addition, new competitors are
entering these markets. A "standard" B2B infrastructure is needed to
facilitate the "new market". Certain "functions" (e.g. scheduling capacity
of transmission system resources, balancing power generation with demand,
etc.) remain regulated and these functions are performed by a central
"Transmission Authority" (TA). The TA must provide "services" to all market
participants on a fair and equal basis.

Architecture:

The role of a centralized TA is ideally suited for a Service Oriented
Architecture B2B infrastructure.

In one sense the TA is managing an auction site where power generators
submit "offers" to sell power
and power purchases are made each half hour. All parties are notified of
auction results on the half hour and specific generators are given operating
instructions for the period.

A service oriented architecture lets the central Transmission Authority
"publish" services that are available to all market participants. Each
service is described in terms of:
-  its "Service" and "Action" values (used within the ebXML header message
within ebMS when invoking the service)
-  the input required to perform the service (e.g. required Manifest
contents - described as XML Schema documents)
-  the output produced by the service (e.g. described as an ebXML message
with Service and Action values that will be returned, along with output data
described using XML Schema).

For example, the "Offer to Sell Power" service provided to Market
Participants by the Central TA might be described generically as follows:

<serviceDescription>Offer to Sell Power
<Entry-point-url>http://.../URI-to-ebMSH
<Message-Exchange-Pattern synchronous=true
delivery-ack-requested=true>Request-Response

<request-service>PowerSales
<request-action>OffertoSell
<request-payload-required>http://.../OffertoSell.xsd

<response-service>PowerSales
<response-action>ResultsofOffertoSell
<response-payload-provided>http://.../ResultsofOffertoSell.xsd

At a cursory level, this is all the information needed to describe the
EXTERNAL interface of services available to market participants by a TA.
The details of how a service is implemented by the TA is not necessary for a
market participant to invoke a service and indeed the TA may consider the
"processing steps" to be sensitive information that it does not wish to
disclose.

On the other hand the TA will want to maintain a detailed "choreography" of
the steps performed within each service. This is the "executable" business
process the TA performs whenever a service is invoked. Likewise a market
participant may have their own "choreography" associated with a service,
which they do not wish to disclose to a TA when invoking a service.

Missing Pieces:

The ebXML Message Service clearly provides the facilities to implement a
service oriented architecture and is the prescribed solution for secure,
reliable implementation.

WSDL appears to provide the means to describe the "external interface" of a
service, but it appears deficient in its support for ebXML MS.

BPSS appears to provide a description of a business process but contains
"too much" information, that may be considered sensitive, or perhaps
irrelevant given the individual nature of "internal" business processes of
each trading party.

What "I need" is:
1.  a standard "external service description" which contains the minimal
information needed to invoke a service from an external source
AND
2. a flexible means to describe and implement the steps associated with each
service, ideally this description would be "executable" by a "workflow
engine".

At this time, I don't believe BPSS or WSDL meet my needs, but I am
participating in both efforts in the hope that this will be rectified.

Sincerely,

Dick Brooks
B2B Integration and Cyber Security Consultant
http://www.tech-comm.com/dbc
Mobile:602-684-1484