Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] BPSS executability and where it ends

Dick,

Great summary.

Your scenario is very close to the AutoTech scenario in many
aspects. ( http://drrw.net/visualscripts/#ebxml )

Looking at that JPG picture of the BPSS - you can see that
there are various roles being done - dealership, manufacturer,
par suppliers, shippers.

As I mentioned before - each participant needs to only see
their own discreet role and set of actions.

I'd proposed that we could solve this using include (aka links out)
references to associated processes that occur on the partners
system - but which the individual partners do not necessarily
get access - unless the originator wants to publish that detail.
We also as part of this multi-party BPSS need a "main" driver
thread - and then "supporting" threads - again the AutoTech
scenario shows this.

So each participant gets their own descreet "set" of actions,
steps and process flow that is self-contained - but when
included into the overall master choreography - also works.
Similarly you can build the master picture - and then export
out the sub-BPSS definitions.

We just need to set down examples of how this
associative system works.  We have
faced the same issues in the OASIS CAM work with
sub-assemblies and "include" v "import".  What we're talking
about here is essentially creating an "import" facilitity for BPSS,
and the notion that there is a "main" controlling process,
completion of which drives the subordinate processes.  A
simple 80:20 approach for this is what is needed first off
(obviously this can get very flashy with all kinds of signalling
and intra-process interaction - but IMHO - simple wins -
i.e. actions such as Synchronize (waits for something), Join
(closes branch and merges) and Terminate (return done)
are more than enough for the basics).

On the WSDL front - I'm seeing three go-forwards there.

1) We allow BPSS to directly call a WSDL defined service,
     and provide a model for that and how a BPSS requires
    inputs/outputs.  So long as the service conforms to the model,
    it will then work correctly.
2) We leverage the fact that ebMS team are working on supporting
     WSDL and therefore you can access a service via a ebMS
     intermediary.
3) We figure out what WSDL needs to extend and support its
     capabilities natively to be more B2B friendly and get those
     added to the W3C issues list (this seems like it would be
     a joint effort with ebMS and other teams).

DW