Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] [ebBP] 2/22/2004: WI 55 - Late Binding [RSD] 2.0 Proposal

DRRW@

Monica,

I've not seen any other comments here.

My sense is that while appearing to be benign and easy
- the <function/> approach here is in fact identical
to the context approach - but in reverse - in the way
it is using the external XML instance - but suffers from
restrictions - and does not handle the boundaries
anywhere near as cleanly..

Here's what I see going on - there really is no
difference from a process point of view between
a <function/> call out from BPSS XML to a Java
program that then returns a result value from a
list of choices - to the context approach where the
context Java program reads some XML then directs the BPSS
XML.   And Dale correctly brings up the issue of
fault handling from the <function/> approach, which
is not an issue for the context mechanism.

Given this - my main statement earlier this month -
that the right way to handle this is via a Technical Note
on context - and to not attempt to band-aid something
in BPSS itself - still stands.  There's more I can add
but we can discuss this on the call today.

The other key thing I see is - if you are writing Java
code to do this - its just as much effort - so why not
complete the full context mechanism and do this
right - and then what is the "short approach" saving?

IMHO - nothing.  Let's do this right and put in place
an XML driven context system - instead of relying on
half-baked <function/> call outs which will just harm
interoperablity and consistency of the BPSS model
long term.

Thanks, DW.