Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] Groups - New Action Item #0036 Monitoring for ebBP-Provide Boundaries

Monica,

OK.  There's two levels to look at this.  The bit-n-byte one
and potential deployment components - which you hit on a
few of those aspects - and then the actual mission
profile.

We need to think of choice points and linking and switching
as a blackbox - and see what services that blackbox
provides WRT a BPSS template.

There's several identified in the BCM specification : -

1) ThreadID management
2) Status tracking
3) Audit trail
4) Context parameter values (assertion / retraction)
5) Signal handling
6) Branch and process management (linking / switching)

Now - whether the blackbox is locally resident - or
accessed globally as a web service, and has a
WSDL binding - all those are implementation details.

What is more important is the roles and functions
being provided.

It may help to think of an actual use case.  The
classic one is the IBM example of the booking
agent for a travel itinery.  The agent queries
various services to discover flight, room, car
rental and other aspects, and then at some
point makes a decision.  All the resulting
threads can track progress of their
individual processes - via interaction with
the choice point 'blackbox'.  So if the
agent has already purchased an item -
then that thread can be marked as
complete - or dependent threads can