Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] Dynamic (late) binding proposal - take 2 now with diagram

Monica,

I just looked again at the proposal here - and its shockingly
close to the ebContext proposal already in two key aspects:

1) retrieves value from a named variable at bind time

2) retrieves TTP from a request document based on a
    reference (possibly XPath).

Well, well - the ebContext proposal supplies the solution
to both of these needs.  Either the named variable is
in the ebContext instance, and/or a context statement
that includes a reference to the document, namespace,
and XPath to obtain a value from.

Since this solves the 'and then a miracle happens' in
a concrete way - there remains only the 3) part of
the ebContext proposal - that uses the bpss:
namespace to reference any aspect of the BPSS
that needs to have context and a value applied to it.

Notice this then solves the dilemma of having to
promote any part of the schema from attribute to
element - so that substitution groups can be used
to apply late-binding.

Instead the 3) bpss:[XPath]  technique allows you
to provide context to any part of the structure.
Of course you really want to retain attributes - since
they can in the first place be tokenized and
enumerated, and given default values.

And of course going way down into the weeds -
programmatically this is a snap - since you just
update the DOM for the node in the BPSS
instance tree - and its done.

So in summary - if you are building a mechanism
to shoe-horn the context value parameter passing
into BPSS for late-binding - well then supporting
reading this from the XML instance of the
<ebContext> parameters file is the way to do
this - and if you are doing that - then you are
there already in implementing the full context
mechanism - since parsing the remaining parts
of the ebContext file is nothing - all the hard
work is being done.

Summary therefore is - heck - if we are passing
parameters into a late-binding around using
schema substitution groups - then lets just
complete the job using the ebContext - and then
you really do not need to have substitution groups -
just let the context statement point to the XPath
of the BPSS component - and update it in the
DOM in-situ.

This gets us to the point I've been asking for -
of a single consistent mechanism, that works
with the existing schema as-is, and provides
a simple or extended functionality that either
just passes a variable value in - or provides
an XPath expression that designates a
transaction field as the source of the
required variable value.

DW.