Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] [ebBP] 4/30/2004: Keeping the Momentum for v2.0 [RSD]

Monica,

Again I need to explain this at two levels - technically
and business process wise.

Just to remind everyone - this ebContext approach is
distinct and completely separate from CAM.

Its a simple ebContext XML instance file - that contains
nothing but context statements in it.

The CPA or BPSS points to the context statement
file (either / or both - I'm not religious on
this - but some people seem to prefer one over the other;
to me all that counts is there's a URI reference to where
the ebContext statements reside - pick one - my
preference is the CPA though - since that is the
business agreement - Dale however liked the BPSS
better - and no changes to the CPA - and I believe
Martin extended the BPSS schema to allow a URI
for this).

The ebContext statements tells your trading partner
explictly what part(s) of the BPSS schema you will
allow late-binding too -using XPath to identify that - so
no need for changes to the BPSS itself to do that
with flags and things.

This also makes it easy for people to apply latebinding
to an industry approved BPSS - since they do not
have to change the BPSS itself.

Then - the ebContext gives you a choice - either a
conditional context statement - that toggles the
parameter (such as TTP) based on some
context value - or a document reference to a field
that provides that value - or a combination
thereof - against that step in the BPSS.

If you want to think of this in terms of UML diagrams
you are replacing the XSD overlaying - with a
function box that says "Determine Context", and
has three sub-boxes - ebContext settings,
BPSS structure reference(s), and Document structure
value(s) as inputs to the "Determine Context" box.

Thanks, DW