Subject: Re: [P1619-3] Approval of document for submission to IEEE 1619.3WG

Logically it would, Bob.  However, I have the impression that
the IEEE dfinitions can stand alone by themselves.  But within
the SKSML, a client or server would not be able to identity a
key uniquely - even within a single Symmetric Key Management
System (SKMS) server - without all 3 components of the GKID.
Since all components are really needed to identify a key
uniquely, I put them all in the SO_HANDLE rather than break
them up.

I have no idea how the IEEE will specify that its own standard
should be implemented in applications/devices.  If you permit a
device to make a request with just the SO_HANDLE using the
SO_FAMILY, SO_DOMAIN and SO_CONTEXT from a previous call or
configuration, this might work within the IEEE specs.  But it
will certainly fail in SKSML unless the full GKID with the
DID-SID-KID triple is sent along.

On the last question, no, there is no service that automatically
does a DID lookup.  The list maintained by IANA is just a list of
registered numbers/companies.  It is anticipated that when an SKMS
is deployed, it will be configured to serve specific DIDs.  So, a
request for a key with a specific GKID will be rejected if the DID
in the GKID is not one of the configured DIDs on the server.  The
SKMS server itself need never lookup the DID anywhere.

Each SKMS client will be configured with the DID and server URLs
that serve that DID (much as resolv.conf lists out IP addresses
of DNS servers a client can contact).  It is unlikely - within
normal circumstances - that a client will ever request a GKID for
a DID that is not configured.  In any case, the server would reject
the request if it is not configured to serve that DID.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.

P.S.  You may need to forward this e-mail to your own listserv
as I do not have send privileges on it.