Subject: RE: Things to do - Requirement Document

Hi,

	Here are some thoughts on security requirements:

	1.	Each voter should be authenticated.
	2.	Each voter should be authorized
	3.	Voters should be able to verify that their vote is registered
	4.	There should be no linkage between the voter and a vote. i.e. the votes
themselves should be anonymous
		(Question : Should we also allow optional linkage ? May be in many
circumstances, we do want to know who voted for what.)
	5.	There should be no indirect voter to vote linkage. i.e. this relation
shouldn't be derivable based on some other factors (for example by
correlating time in a log or a location or a serial number or other similar
pieces of information)
		(Note : This is true even when we allow direct linkage. The point is
direct linkage if allowed would be the ONLY way to link a voter with a vote)
	6.	Each vote could have some location information like a county or similar
geographic location. This is used for statistical purposes
	7.	Transmission of results and other voting related information should be
secured
	8.	Transmission of voting should be secured
	9.	Security should be the first priority for voting and related systems
	10.	The system should be able to generate, handle and deliver time locked
information
	11.	The system should be able to handle policies which could be different
at different locations - physical or logical
	12.	The policy admin privileges should be secures and policy changes should
be logged
	13.	The various systems should have logging and auditing facilities - many
of them capable of forming permanent and unalterable records with
non-repudiation capabilities built-in
	14.	The logging and audit trails should not violate other requirements like
the anonymous voting.
	15.	The system should be able to catch security in-consistencies for known
voting models. i.e. the security policies of known voting models should be
pre-programmed and should not be altered

cheers