Subject: RE: Things to do - Requirement Document. Security.

Hi,

First of all, different election scenarious, different legal regulation and
laws will necessarily present different security requirements. Therefore, I
suggest we change the pitch of the message from "SHOULD allow" and "SHALL
facilitate" to more permissive and broader "SHOULD NOT prevent" and "SHALL
NOT make impossible".

Second, to make the discussion a bit more structured, I suggest we do not
concentrate on the low-granular operations - we may not know in advance all
possible permutations within the system, and should not be trying to
anticipate finer details of it. Instead, I propose we concentrate on what we
know - the major participants and items, and associated security
expectations.

Something like that:
Voter:
	privacy/anonymity: << list of issues here >>
	authentication:<< list of issues here >>
	non-repudiation:<< list of issues here >>

Ballot:
	privacy:<< list of issues here >>
	integrity:<< list of issues here >>
	identification and traceability: << not quite a security issue,
though>>
Vote:
	privacy:<< list of issues here >>
	anonymity: << list of issues here >>
	integrity:<< list of issues here >>
	authenticity:<< list of issues here >>
	audit, identification and traceability: << not quite a security
issue, though>>

To give an example: "A structure of a vote SHALL NOT prevent a voter
identity to be incorporated into it, or be referenced by it."

Structuring security requirements this way will allow keeping it short and
sweet, and hopefully better associated with the overall picture.

I believe that vote-casting environment should not be included into the
security discussion. It has nothing to do with tokens/protocols.

I expect that I could've missed something, or some of the issues do not
apply at all. Let me know about your thinking. Also, let me know if you
agree with the proposed structuring, and I'll populate the sceleton with the
requirements I can think of. I'll take all requirements put by Krishna which
seem to be relevant, of course.

Regards
Michael

"How can I make sure the right people get access to the right resources
and business applications, with a user base that's constantly growing and
changing?"
The answer...
Baltimore SelectAccess
Next Generation Authorisation Management
http://www.baltimore.com/selectaccess/index.html
The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or
there are any problems please notify the originator immediately.  The
unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is
strictly forbidden. Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for direct,
special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration of the
contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being
passed on.

In addition, certain Marketing collateral may be added from time to time to
promote Baltimore Technologies products, services, Global e-Security or
appearance at trade shows and conferences.

computer viruses.