Subject: RE: [election-services] OASIS Demo for NASS / NASED

Sorry meant to copy this on the list

-----Original Message-----
From: John Ross [mailto:ross@secstan.com]
Sent: 05 November 2007 15:19
To: 'David RR Webber (XML)'

Hi Dave,

We are probably getting wire crossed here,

Holistic approaches demonstrating that EML is flexible and can be applied to
a whole range of solutions is indeed important, so is providing
interoperability across solutions and multichannel support.

The main issue I was pointing out was that, we need to improve the
verifiability of electronic electoral systems.  One aspect of that is being
able to prove the authenticity of the information in the system and support
third party trusted verification services (external witnesses).

The big criticism levelled at all the Internet/IVR system in the UK pilots
was that there was no external verifiability and hence the systems as a
whole were a black box, with votes going in, results coming out and no for a
third party to verify what happened in between. So we have to find was of
improving on that.

JR