Subject: Brass Tacks #1

Hi Everyone,

Like everyone I have time constraints, and yesterday I promised
several replies in more depth than I had time for then and so I am
getting to them now. I'm naming these threads Brass Tacks with
numbers to keep them separate from thread names I hope we can start
fresh with next week and stay with for the formal purposes already
stated by Ranjeeth.

Brass Tacks # 1 deals with what I call Bottom Line Applications, as
opposed to Applications per se which has been raised a couple of
times and which I hope we can reserve until next week for the
purposes mentioned above.

HumanMarkup, if you think about, applies to every human endeavor and
that's a pretty broad domain, which is another term I think we should
reserve until next week as well, but I wanted to broach this now to
uphold my promise.

This is my opinion, but based on the way the world really works,
Business Applications (with Caps!) pay the bills for all the rest,
and though we have some very worthy idealistic goals, in order to
achieve a penetration of the marketplace sufficient to realize any
goals, we will need to address those nasty bottom line economic
issues early on.

The good news is that the same practical reasons why reducing
miscommunication improves performance in such areas as conflict
resolution, work in spades for business, and that means improvements
in bottom line profit performance, and businesses, at least smart
ones, pay real close attention to that.

How do we do this?

When terms can have varying meanings in different contexts, HumanML
can specify the context. When terms are meant to carry emotional
connotations, those connotations can be made explicit for the sake of
emphasis or understanding. For instance, when is a deadline really a
deadline, and when is it merely a target that can be adjusted easily?
Making that one term crystal clear would solve a lot of problems and
improve bottom line performance.

To be specific, adding up the improvements that can be had in
performance evaluations, progress reports, contracts, conference
reports, all add up to cumulative improvement in the quality and
depth of information and data at the fingertips of top management, so
the number one Brass Tacks Application is Executive Management
Decision Support.

You can carry on from there.

W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com