Subject: Re: Profiling in the News: Was: RE: Taxonomies, URN's etc..

> Mind game:  walking down the street, how can you
> tell humans from dogs? Jokes allowed but they should
> point to the answer.

I tend to class people walking down the street into lamppost-like-objects,
and lamppost-attracted-objects.

Unfortunately, the latter class may also include drunks, prostitutes, and
my best friend's girlfriends, so it is not a good test of "human" or "dog".

I'm guessing that this going to bring us towards what we mean by the word
"human" and the word "dog"? Some people have been known to call prostitutes
"dogs", so perhaps my classing mechanism would work in some cases. Other
people define a "human" as something that they can have an interesting
conversation with, but I've had more interesting conversations with trees
than I have with the majority of people that I've met, so that's also not a
good indication.

Platonic ideals were a possible solution, until the end of the Victorian
era, where people starting sitting on tables, and eating off of chairs,
just for the variety.

Thankfully, because of your grammar being badly, I can provide a simple
answer. The question being "how can *you* tell humans from dogs?" rather
than "how can *one* tell humans from dogs?", the answer is, I correlate
what I percieve with my own particular concept of what a "human" or "dog"
is, which may well be variable, but more than likely, will depend upon
defining what a lamppost is.

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer