Subject: RE: Profiling in the News: Was: RE: Taxonomies, URN's etc..

The profile is the point.  We
never claimed we could model humans.  We claimed
we could create systems that enable humans
to model humans which if you think about it,
is what profiling is.   We told the world
this was about reducing miscommunication.
Your public safety systems do this kind of
thing every day and they use these with other
information to make decisions about how,
where and when to deploy agency resources.
Without episodic memory, for example,
gang rivals are put into the same cells
with bad results.  Child molesters are
allowed into the general prison population
with bad results.  Every time a prisoner
is booked, a psychological profile is created
that is used to determine how resources will
be applied (for example, a suicide watch).
There are numerous cases where such profiling
has enabled serial killers to be located and
more when they were not and continued killing
because the information systems did not share
the profiles and this is true on both sides
of the pond.  As a matter of fact, the British
systems are working very hard to solve this
problem *today*.  I read their RFPs.

Hypotheticals are a way to find in a situation
a matching theory so it can be tested.  In this case, similar to
the kind of deduction Holmes might employ, the
art is one of recording and assessing observations.
In the case of the girl, she does have episodic
memory and that is beyond the observation but not
her ability to select.  We have to account for
that or otherwise, we can't use this for some
applications such as autonomous agents.  They
depend on episodic memory for negotiation.  Unless
limited by design, they can also screw up badly
using it just as people can with the exception
that they may not have a "this doesn't feel right"
sense.  I note this in my Golem paper as part
of the limiting scope of authority for certain
decisions, ultimately, who chooses choices.

I provided an example in which the miscommunication
was possible but did not occur and asked if
we could construct a plausible description
of what kept that from happening.  It is just
as likely that based on the context, she would
have looked at the Dog:dog and said, "yes that
absolutely is an ugly dog."  Now they would be
in agreement but failed to communicate.  They
might go on through the night talking about the
"ugly dog" with each communication getting ever
more hilarious.  We also have a show on the
comedy cable about George W. Bush and his wife
in which he is talking about getting rid of their old
cat and she thinks he is talking about her genitals
based on a word for both.  Comedy works by
stretching the plausible into the implausible
to the point of pain.

In the beginning, I claimed the central metaphor
of HumanML would be "awareness".  This was not
without thought.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.