Subject: RE: HM.applications-Profiling-Level of Details/Abstraction

Yes.  I would certainly like to see more input from others
but phase 0 with 70 lurkers and six active participants
proves to me that most folks are easy riding and the
others are playing poker.  Life is short.

Theories such as gestalt are interpretive domains.  In
effect, they name patterns and the system uses these patterns
to select some attributes of the subject domain (the situation,
communication, etc. being interpreted).  HumanML high level
classes are used to group these interpretive domains to enable
alternative interpretations to be selected.  It is useful to
know that communication and learning are tightly intertwined.

HumanML isn't precisely about human-to-human
communications.  It is also a digital means to enhance such
communications through translation, problem solving,
selecting representations, and enabling representations
eg, given a HumanML knowledge base, an avatar can
direct an HCI interaction or a system can create a
context-appropriate interface.  So we have to consider
HCI problems that HumanML can help solve (consider
usability or learning): human to computer to human.

Working with the Amodeus project papers, here is an example
of a learning based interaction that points out some of the
issues of a learning process of HCI.  In this example, I am
only looking at the human-to-machine given that one will learn
to use human to machine tools first before working the other
side of that communication.

Much reasoning given a situation of uncertainty is analogical.
Analogy is inductive and needs a verification action has desired
effect to establish a rule.  Knowledge in the HumanML model is
contained in declarative representation and in rules.  To
use induction, the process is:

1. Process sets goal
2. Looks for rule.  If no rule found
3. Identify similar situation using surface similarity of
   goal situation and experience. (source and target)
4. Identify an action from situation.
5. Test action.
6. If action is successful, create new rule

-  If object is this.object and goal is this.goal; use this.action.

This requires the system (eg, the Human object) to identify
the meaningful attributes.

SELECT objects WHERE object is-a objectType AND has-name (property =
somevalue)

The facts may be episodic (was started) instead of categorical
(is-a object).

It may need chains of facts between the example task and the example action,

to make features of the action meaningful.  What identifies the correct
action/control in a set (the item selection problem)?

Scenario:  a human unfamiliar with a car's controls wants to
cool the car.

Goal is "cold"

Given

Episodic fact:  (this.action(push red button) -> this.state(heater.On) ->
Result = "hot" )
Context fact:   (blue = "cold")

Learns:

- rules for learning
  (this.action (this.object(controls) -> this.state(system.on))
- rules for specific results
  (this.action (push blue button) -> this.state (airConditioner.on) ->
Result="cold")

and these become part of the knowledge base.

Sean, how would RDF represent this?  Then we should inquire as to how a
human object uses the knowledge base.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.