Subject: Re: CONFERENCE CALL INFO

Sorry to hear it, but maybe we can arrange to help you pay for it.
Please write to me or Ranjeeth about this and not the list. It
continues to send the message that this TC meeting is public and it
isn't. You are, of course, as a founding member, eligible, and we
want you to participate since participation is mandatory to maintain
membership in the TC itself.

.At 4:12 PM +0300 9/13/01, Emmanuil M. Batsis wrote:
>I am not sure if I will be able to attend (and pay the call). Why
>can't we just use a chatroom?

Because OASIS won't let us.

But once we have this first meeting, it activates the closed TC list,
which Ranjeeth moderates and we can conduct official TC business
there. Please understand, circumstances beyond our control are
working, completely unintentionally, to obstruct this process from
being successfully pursued.

If we keep discussing this stuff on the public comments list, we
scare OASIS, brand ourselves as unreliable, and run the risk of
losing their sponsorship, which for the very reasons we sought it in
the first place, is very important. It is crucial for our work to be
protected. (We have already seen the kinds of public patents granted
that impact us as much as Motorola's and SONY's impact MPEG4, if you
are aware of that rat's nest.)

We have already seen yesterday on this list the kind of emotional
contentiousness such a situation as we have engenders, with sad
consequences. Let's keep our heads, and use them. There is a world of
folks out there looking for a place to be heard where they hope to do
some good right now and we are vulnerable to a lot of unintentional
but irreparable damage.

Nuff Said.
Rex