Subject: Re: LegalEntity Class (Was: Re: HumanML_Write: Several responses andsome reflection....)

Title: Re: LegalEntity Class (Was: Re: HumanML_Write: Several
Okay, I read the article, which is 2 of 3 and haven't read 1 or 3, which is to come. Didn't really change my mind, but it came close. Until I hear from almost everyone that they also prefer to learn UML in order to proceed with discussions, samples apps, etc, I'm going to stay with the more cumbersome, to this author's view, waterfall process I described before. Of course, if I was doing this alone, I might prefer to work with UML in the process described, but since I have now quite a lot of practice with UML in several IDEs and from scratch, I know what the learning curve is, and unless those among us with extensive XML and RDF experience care to either wait until the overarching UML work is done and then correctly apply it to their special areas of responsiblity, or learn UML to contribute, I think the concurrent approach is more practical, if more cumbersome, and allows those of us who want to build a UML model which will make subsequent application development easier and quicker to keep a concurrent reality check on our work to make sure is jibes with the XML and RDF underway.

As well, it keeps those nasty namespace complications down to manageable, and those of you who follow the xml-dev list know just how tricky that can be.

At 1:22 AM -0400 9/26/01, Joseph Norris wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Whatever path we eventually choose to take; UML to Schema or Schema to UML, I am sure this particular article published at XML.com about mapping UML models into XML schema should be of interest.

Take a look at

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/09/19/uml.html

Cordially,

Joe Norris
jwnorris@humanmarkup.org

----- Original Message -----
From: Rex Brooks
To: Bullard, Claude L (Len) ; Rex Brooks ; Joseph Norris ; OASIS Comment
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 9:39 PM

At 10:26 AM -0500 9/25/01, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
I suggest that if the UML models are to be pursued as a design tool, these will have to
be the main focus, not the schemas or RDF or any software under development.  The
reason is of course that UML is purported to be a conceptual model from which other
implementation mappings can be made.   That's the theory.  The dilemma is that
these can easily be considered as object-oriented designs, not data designs as
we discovered in Phase 0.

I think it ought to be the other way round. I prefer making the UML fit the Schemas and RDF. As of now we have no conflicts and its just easier that way since the datatyping is already well underway in the Schemata.

We did a few rounds of discussion in Phase 0 on this subject, but now that there
are fresh members with different backgrounds, this should be revisited.  The approach
from the Schemas perspective is to create a set of types that can be toolkits for
creating HumanML documents/messages.   For this to work, they have to be
usable by any implementation of the UML conceptual layers.  A schema, per se,
is not a class design though one can construe that by considering abstract
types as class definitions, but even then, these really are document designs
or a way to define a namespace of markup that can be added into an existing
document namespace.   Today, the schema draft collects types from the
semiotics field (eg, signs, symbols, etc. for describing meaningfulness
and some categories for environment, chronemics, proxemics, as well
as gestural types (haptics)) and a hodge of identification types or surface

characteristics.   These are useful but there is no implication about the
implementation or processing of these.   However, without some very
explicit notion of how HumanML markup is to be used, I think we have a
disconnect between the Schemas and the UML.   That means, architecturally,
we are in the weeds and are talking around each other.

What I suggest is a very limited use of only the appropriate classes needed to make HumanML_Write as it is currently constructed for messaging and writing without tying ourselves up trying to make it more than it needs to be at this stage. This would require a few new classes to fit, but not a great deal of work.

 I don't see any necessity for choosing UML over the XML and RDF Schemata. Nothing is set in stone at this point, and if it comes down to a choice, I think as I've said before that we should do xml and rdf and just bag uml, except as an adjunct conducted separately, which anybody could do anyway. I'm not saying that just to get out of a bunch more work, uml and oo, are good for a lot of stuff, but more baggage than I think we need right now. I don't think we are far enough along to know what kind of overarching design we need, and you just about need to have that kind of vision to do uml well, unless you don't mind reinventing things a few times. I mind.

However, it is good to have feedback from our newer members.

Comments from the list members are solicited on this subject.

len
<snip>

W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com