Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] As If Article and thoughts about attractingattention to our cause

Hi All,

I finally got around to reading the article Len referred to last week, and
t was a helpful reminder to me. The WSIA meetings I am attending are at the
far end of the abstraction spectrum, yet the use of Human Markup Language
will occur largely within this extremely complex and abstract environment,
so our task of getting as close to the unspeakable, non-abstract, reality
of human thought and action and the emotional, cultural context in which it
takes place is made more difficult and more necessary.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a better or easier way to do it than to
focus down on the meanings of our vocabulary and make sure that the
definitions of our terms are as clear as we can make them and that they map
to things they represent as closely and accurately as we can make them.

This is very frustrating and it is going to get more frustrating as we go
along. One of the frustrations I have had is the apparent lack of
participation from the OASIS community and the bright population of the
computer/internet-savvy that I would have liked. Then, the reporter
Ranjeeth referred to me called for the interview we arranged, and my eyes
were opened by a clear example of just how myopic I have become.

I found myself being asked for concrete examples of how Human Markup is
supposed to work, and while I focused on certain aspects that I have used
over time to describe how Human Markup is envisioned to work, I discovered
that what made good sense to me did not make quick connections in my audience.

I was describing two things, how tags that represent a disconnect between
what a subject of a social service interview says and what their
expressions or body language says could  be harvested from a number of
reports from a population of reports, and how the application writers would
be the ones who would drive the actual use of Human Markup and would also
be the ones to extend not only the functionality of the language but also
add new terms to the base schema over time as needed. And the interviewer
just didn't get it.

It turned out that had his own preconceptions of what Human Markup would be
good for and he kept asking me over and over for more concrete examples
even though I had just done that. At the time this was mutually
frustrating, so it will be instructive to see what he actually writes.

I tried my best to debunk the myth of our own making, which earned us our
dubious achievement awards, but I am not at all sure that I succeeded in
doing more than complaining that we were misunderstood while trying to
explain what our effort is attempting to do. I think he wanted to get me to
make the kind of claims that get sneered at, like how we are going to
reduce miscommunication. I'm afraid that I disillusioned him about our
naivete. I certainly hope so. I just wanted to make it clear that we are
not claiming we can change the world for the better, but that by making
meanings explicit and clear, as much as we can, and add emotional context
if we can, we may help make communication more accurate.

Whether the emphasis on accuracy and how much work that wi ll take, came
through, only time will tell. But, as with the articles I continue to work
on, and the White Papers I suggested that Sylvia consider penning, I will
continue to try.