Subject: RE: [huml-comment] PC-33 -Section 4.4.6-race: valid HUMAN

Notes below.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2002 09:46
To: dennis.hamilton@acm.org; humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Rex Brooks
Subject: RE: [huml-comment] PC-33 -Section 4.4.6-race

At 8:46 AM -0800 11/29/02, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

[ ... ]

><ORCNOTE OK, but it bothers me that there is even the notion of "valid
>HUMAN" here.  What can that possibly mean? The very phrase suggests some
>position (e.g., criteria, expressed or not).  More to the point, collapsing
>characteristics of a person or HUMAN with human-authorized and with
>non-human "characters" that somehow present human attributes strikes me as
>universalization that is not likely to enhance fidelity in communication.
>/>

For us it just means self-assertion, or
authentication/authorization/certification if the entity asserting
its identity as human in an application that uses HumanML chooses to
cite that identity.

<ORCNOTE> Say what? </ORCNOTE>

In the context of my statement above, it means commonsensically valid
in the sense of an actual living human computer user who chooses not
to use any identity verification and may also choose not to offer any
information other than asserting that the person is human, but is
demonstrably human, or a software agent authorized by such an person
to act as an agent of that person. It was not meant to be formally
testable qualification, but it could be. We are actually trying to
avoid that whole issue.

<ORCNOTE hml:gesture="shrug" hml:expression="bafflement"
hml:emoticon="(?;<)"> That reminds me, the last time I followed the use-case
link, it failed to find any document.  Help me out here.  I have no idea
what the context is here or what this means and why it requires Human
Markup. </ORCNOTE>

[ ... ]

>Ciao,
>Rex
>

>--
I look forward to hearing more from you. I will respond as I can.

Starbourne Communications Design
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309