Subject: RE: [huml-comment] PC-33 -Section 4.4.6-race: valid HUMAN

At 2:54 PM -0800 11/29/02, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>Notes below.

I probably shouldn't try to answer this after an unpleasant afternoon
of wrestling with plumbing problems, but I think the biggest problem
here is that we(I) haven't adequaately explained what the primary
base schema is intended to be. It is the base on which more fully
detailed descriptions of individuals, instances of the element
"Human," can be built. You seem to think of our terms as end-points
rather than start-points, so it appears that we have collapsed the
broad array of various human characteristics when in fact we have not
even begun to build that collection of characteristics. So, of
course, we can not enhance the fidelity of communication very much
with this initial vocabulary. As you have pointed out, the scope is
very large, so we have to start with the most manageable portions we
can separate out.

>For us it just means self-assertion, or
>authentication/authorization/certification if the entity asserting
>its identity as human in an application that uses HumanML chooses to
>cite that identity.
>
><ORCNOTE> Say what? </ORCNOTE>

I'm too tired and cranky to do this adequately right now. I will try
to get back to it.

>In the context of my statement above, it means commonsensically valid
>in the sense of an actual living human computer user who chooses not
>to use any identity verification and may also choose not to offer any
>information other than asserting that the person is human, but is
>demonstrably human, or a software agent authorized by such an person
>to act as an agent of that person. It was not meant to be formally
>testable qualification, but it could be. We are actually trying to
>avoid that whole issue.
>
><ORCNOTE hml:gesture="shrug" hml:expression="bafflement"
>hml:emoticon="(?;<)"> That reminds me, the last time I followed the use-case
>link, it failed to find any document.  Help me out here.  I have no idea
>what the context is here or what this means and why it requires Human
>Markup. </ORCNOTE>

I will have to fix the use-case link--I didn't do this one, and I
also did not delete it when I deleted a bunch of unused files. Right
now I can 't find the file it refers to. I will let you know when it
is available. there is more material on the old Yahoo site, the link
for which does work.

>[ ... ]
>
>>Ciao,
>>Rex
>>

>>--
>I look forward to hearing more from you. I will respond as I can.
<snip>
Sorry I'm just not up to searching for stuff nor attempting to make
sense right now. I'm a morning person and I have a pile of things
that didn't get done today because I was playing plumber.

Starbourne Communications Design
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309