Subject: Re: [id-cloud] Architecture for ID-Cloud

Anil,
As we discussed in Keystone, the question of "architecture" will necessarily require some
discussion (and agreement) on several basic questions, which I'm certain will be obvious and/or straightforward to some and contentious to others:
1.  What's the role of SAML (or at least SAML-like architectures)?  Are we assuming a
     SAML-based (or SAML-like) architecture, or is SAML allowed/enabled/supported
     but not required?
2.  Who can authenticate?  Do we support a single, trusted authentication source, or will
     the architecture allow us to support multiple authentication sources?
3.  If "several," are they federated or synchronized in some way?, or does it remain
     fragmented?
4.  What's the role of OAuth?
5.  Do individuals have multiple "identities" with various ways of mapping/resolving between
     them, or one identity that can map to multiple roles/responsibilities/contexts?

To my mind, any attempt at an architecture discussion will in fact devolve into discussions about these more basic points.   Thoughts?
Tom