Subject: RE: [id-cloud] Architecture for ID-Cloud

Throwing more fuel on the fire...

Profiles are not synonymous with architecture as I understand them.

Use cases outline how a service/application/subsystem behaves given some
external action. This includes both normal and error cases. This corresponds
to the approach we have started. A profile might include what technologies
could be used to implement the use cases.

Even a reference architecture is a fairly complicated beast because you have
to think about implementation details and prescriptive guidance. Is that a
path we want to go down? I personally am interested in ID-cloud
architecture, and Thomas' questions are a good starting point, but that
seems out of scope for the TC.

Michael Stiefel

-----Original Message-----
From: Anil Saldhana [mailto:Anil.Saldhana@redhat.com]
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 4:26 PM
To: id-cloud@lists.oasis-open.org

  Thomas,
   as part of the TC work, we have to come up with a document for
definitions/glossary. This was something we had discussed at one of the
TC meetings and agreed on.  So I think this document can formalize the
vocabulary. That task has been stalled because Abbie has been away (to
start with the ITU-T contributions).

Apart from this, the third stage of the TC involves profiles for the
various use cases.  This certainly is synonymous with architecture for
those use cases?

I feel coming up with a generic architecture for the entire TC charter
(IDM in the cloud) will probably be contentious and lacking completion.
Would it be better to look at architectures for various use cases that
we identify?

If we are looking at simple architecture to highlight the scope of the
TC, may be the glossary document may include such diagrams?

Open to feedback.

Regards,
Anil