Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] OpenDocument compliance/conformance

>> Btw, we can start working on a logo before having the definition of
>> conformance worked out. These are things we can do in parallel.
>
> Indeed, that is something that is missing. I have people here who have
> asked for a logo, not so much in a business context as it was almost an
> obvious request from marketing folks. How could we set up this initiative?

If you talk about the graphical design, I agree. If you talk about
the actual program, I disagree.

I disagree in the latter case (at least to some degree) because a
logo on a product box or web page sets some expectations. For example,
does a simple browser plugin or PDF viewer that just supports very
basic text content, but nothing else, get the logo?

In order to create credibility for ODF we should set pretty high
(but reasonable) standards for a logo program. A logo program could
hurt more than help if everybody can get the logo.

When my cell phone displays the Java logo I expect it to run all
(or at least the majority) of the available Java Mobile Edition
applications. Users and ISV's will have similar expectations for
an ODF logo.

Best regards,
Erwin