Subject: Re: [office-comment] Describing legacy information

Hi Rob,

2009/6/18  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com>:

> But we can look at the language around <config:config-item> in the
> standard so it is clear what appropriate uses of it are.

I think that would be an exellent idea. As you say, most of these
config-items are used by applications to store application specific
data. OOo uses e.g. UseOldPrinterMetrics and
AddParaTableSpacingAtStart and Symphony uses it to store binary blobs
for printer settings.

http://docs.go-oo.org/sw/html/SwXDocumentSettings_8cxx-source.html

A way to enhance ODF interoperability would be to textually limit the
usage of these elements to purposes that do not directly impact the
layout of the document. This would mean that storing
application/platform specific printer blobs would be just fine - but
using it for "UseFormerLineSpacing" as OOo does would be a big no-no.

I am almost positive that I have submitted a comment on this earlier
(I'll check JIRA later) but if not, I'll submit an official comment on
it when I can find a few minutes for it.

:o)

--
Jesper Lund Stocholm
www.idippedut.dk