Subject: Re: Splitting View and Model

On Dec 19, 2006, at 7:59 AM, Svante Schubert wrote:

> According to this I would like to move the @content attribute value
> and the date type completely to the metadata.

As I mentioned before, I think that you and Michael are criticizing our
proposal on this count not only doesn't make sense generally (WHERE the
metadata is ought to be irrelevant from a model perspective), it also
contradicts the existing ODF spec. To quote:

"Each field type is represented by a corresponding element type. A
field in a document is encoded as a single element of the appropriate
type. The content of the element is the textual representation of the
current field value as it would be displayed or printed. Therefore,
ignoring all field elements and displaying only the textual content of
the elements provides an approximate text-only version of the document.

The value of a field is usually stored in an attribute. It is necessary
to store the value so that the presentation of the field can be
recomputed if necessary, for example, if the user decides to change the
formatting style of the field."

Adding a meta:content (or I guess if you prefer meta:value) attribute
is fully consistent with the above. So if we exclude it from our spec,
should we exclude it everywhere in ODF, deprecating the current fields?