Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Re: Splitting View and Model

Hi Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2006, at 7:59 AM, Svante Schubert wrote:
>
>> According to this I would like to move the @content attribute value
>> and the date type completely to the metadata.
>
> As I mentioned before, I think that you and Michael are criticizing
> our proposal on this count not only doesn't make sense generally
> (WHERE the metadata is ought to be irrelevant from a model perspective),
What is relevant out of the model perspective?

But I suggest instead of restarting fruitless discussions about design
principles, let us gather each the benefits we see compared to other
approach.
For this purpose, I created this little nasty example with intersecting
semantic, which might reveal a limitation of RDFa. But maybe Elias is
able to solve it.

> it also contradicts the existing ODF spec. To quote:
>
> "Each field type is represented by a corresponding element type. A
> field in a document is encoded as a single element of the appropriate
> type. The content of the element is the textual representation of the
> current field value as it would be displayed or printed. Therefore,
> ignoring all field elements and displaying only the textual content of
> the elements provides an approximate text-only version of the document.
>
> The value of a field is usually stored in an attribute. It is
> necessary to store the value so that the presentation of the field can
> be recomputed if necessary, for example, if the user decides to change
> the formatting style of the field."
>
> Adding a meta:content (or I guess if you prefer meta:value) attribute
> is fully consistent with the above. So if we exclude it from our spec,
> should we exclude it everywhere in ODF, deprecating the current fields?
Correct. We should reuse as much as possible from existing features, but
a consistent adding is not a reuse.
To me it seems it is easier to compare our approaches based on
functionality and enabled scenarios.

Looking forward to compare the two lists of benefits for RDFa and the
xml:id only approach,