Subject: Re: [office] Fwd: ODF spec question (white-space processing)

On Monday 11 September 2006 01:04, Daniel Vogelheim wrote:
> For the various reasons given in this and previous posts, I propose
> that the 'in other words' part is simply being removed from the spec.
> That should fix the problem with different interpretations in a very
> easy, understandable, and concise manner, and in perfect accordance
> with the original intentions.

Daniel, many thanks for your input. I completely agree with it.

I am just not sure I fully understand your suggestion. If we keep the term "collapsed"
and remove the reference to HTML, then we are basically deciding on the current
KOffice behavior, i.e. <text:p> followed by spaces leaves one space visible - right?
While I should probably be happy about that, when reading the Intel testcases I did
realize that many people writing XML by hand will probably do the same as they did,
and write
   <text:p>
         My paragraph text
   </text:p>
which in their mind shouldn't lead to whitespace before and after the text
(text:s should be used for that).

So, to be clear, I'm happy with the OpenOffice.org behavior, but it should be made
explicit in the specification. Not by talking about HTML, but by writing "any whitespace
at the beginning or end of a paragraph is removed" or something like that.