Subject: RE: [office] DSIG proposal - URIs, Packages, and Namespaces - Proposal

I feel really thick-headed.  I wandered all over the place because of the
"existing implementations" concern, when the answer is right in front of us.
Here is my understanding of the appropriate resolution:

1. The introduction of the ODF usage of xml-dsig will be via the proposed
namespace and the xml-dsig namespace, as currently specified in the schemas
for the DSIG proposal:

   1.1 The ODF 1.2 namespace for ODF DSIG will be
"urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:digitalsignature:1.0".

   1.2 The xml-dsig namespace is "http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#";

   1.3 For example, the element introduced by the tag

   <DSIG:document-signatures

xmlns:DSIG="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:digitalsignature:1.0"
       xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#";>

       introduces a DSIG in accordance with the ODF 1.2 specification.

2. The interpretation of URIs within a <DSIG:document-signatures> in an ODF
package subfile will be as prescribed in section 2.6 of draft 6 of the ODF
1.2 Package specification.  (This is equivalent to section 17.5 of earlier
specifications, and clarification in response to the SC34 defect report will
not impact DSIG.)  There might be additional restrictions on the forms of
URI that are usable, but the restriction must not conflict with the rules
for interpretation of URIs and the additional rules already incorporated in
section 2.6.  That is, the URI value can be used correctly without knowledge
of the restrictions on providing such a value.

3. IN THE EVENT that usage of namespace
"urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:digitalsignature:1.0" already exists
in documents produced by existing software, the ODF 1.2 specification will
choose a different namespace (e.g.,
"urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:digitalsignature:1.0") and maybe,
just to be safe, we should change it anyhow.

That's it.  That's how we avoid any confusion with an existing
implementation that uses a private namespace (as in OO.o 2.4) or one that
has already employed the originally-proposed ODF DSIG namespace (in 1.1,
above).  By making sure that an existing implementation will not be using
the approved ODF DSIG namespace, there is room to recognize the difference
in implementation and for the product-specific legacy forms to be
distinguished and dealt with appropriately by products that are implemented
to do so.

 - Dennis

PS: Duhhh.