Subject: TC Liaison with JTC1/SC34

Dear OpenDocument TC members:

There are two opportunities for collaboration with the JTC1/SC34
panel assigned to work with us on current and future versions of the
ISO/IEC 26300 version of ODF.

As you know, OASIS and JTC1 have discussed ways to cooperate more
systematically on maintenance of standards that have been approved
by both organizations.  Our OASIS Board of Directors has just
approved amendments to our Liaison Policy, to specifically address
post-approval maintenance.  I expect that we will discuss the
methodology for future maintenance shortly, as well.  However, this
message is about creating liaisons.

The OASIS Liaison Policy allows your TC to appoint persons to liaise
directly with other relevant standards bodies, like SC34.  OASIS
already has several such permanent liaison positions, and several of
you also happen to hold seats on SC34..

In addition, SC34 has just announced a new OpenDocument-specific "Ad
Hoc WG on ISO/IEC 26300 Maintenance".  See
http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc34/open/1221.htm

If the TC wishes, it would be appropriate for you to designate OASIS
TC members willing to serve as a bridge on this panel as well.  As
you can see from the announcement, the working group expects to meet
in Seattle.  (It's likely that one of us from OASIS will attend as
well.)

Would the TC like to designate some TC member(s) as its
representative(s)?  You could do so by a simple resolution at your
next meeting.  If so, we will pass along the names together, as
OASIS' nominees to the SC34 WG.  I'd ask that if there are multiple
designees, the TC name one as primary, for ease of coordination.

(Those persons would be subject to our Liaison Policy, which puts
some limits on what a TC liaison can do -- for example, they can't
act to commit the TC or OASIS to anything.  See
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/liaison_policy.php#tcliaison )

Also, if the TC has any views of the scope or plan of the WG, we'd
like to share those with SC34 at the same time.  So please pass
those along as well.  I will attend your next meeting on Monday, to
be available for any discussion of the issue.

A second opportunity may occur, if JTC1/SC34 wishes to do the
reverse.  Earlier this year, SC34 members expressed interest in
"embedding" an SC34 member in the TC as an active observer.  (Likely
someone who is not already independently a TC member.)  Our Liaison
Policy also permits that, if the circumstances are appropriate, by
having them join OASIS for that purpose and contribute actively to
the TC.  We wish to encourage this, and also will follow up with
SC34 on that possibility.

I will plan to attend the next ODF TC meeting to answer questions if
you like.  Kind regards  JBC

Jamie Clark
OASIS