oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] test documents and being smart with meta-data

Title: RE: [oic] test documents and being smart with meta-data

Rob Weir wrote:
> I like the internal metadata approach, though wouldn't d1 require
> ODF 1.2 metadata support?

Mm, not really: (ODF 1.1, part 2.2.1)

"Custom metadata are arbitrary elements inside <office:meta>. Since
their semantics is not defined in this specification, conforming
applications in general cannot process or display this data.
Applications should preserve this data when editing the document."

Actually, the tested app doesn't even have to preserve it for our
purposes, since it's only intended as an aid for some script to
select the docs, zip them in one nice test suite etc.
Same script could remove it, so the app doesn't even see our smart
effort...

> What happens when we mix this with document signatures and
> encryption?  Any change to the metadata would require changing the
> document, and therefore would break the integrity of the signature
> and would require re-signing.

That's a good point, I forgot about that.

> But it can also alternatively be embedded directly in an file, in
> cases where the file has a defined way of adding metadata, such as
> in JPG files.

Very creative indeed. Adds some complexity for atomic tests and
requires a package, but probably not an issue ?
It's more or less related to e), so I would call this option e2)

Best regards,

Bart