oic message

Subject: test documents and being smart with meta-data

Title: test documents and being smart with meta-data

Hi,

During the last call, we discussed about creating test documents
and reusing them since most of them can be used for testing ODF
1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.
The outcome was that we should be smart with metadata, so we can
tag the docs and let some script assemble the 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 sets.

There are various ways to do this, like:

a) Create directories 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and use symbolic links
Pro: no additional metadata work required
Con: works on a file system level, probably we can't do this with
the OASIS webtool

b) wait for OASIS to install Subversion or another SCM
Pro: clean solution
Con: not available yet, not sure when/if it becomes available

(Note: if I recall correctly, SVN doesn't support "sharing" files,
you need to add an svn:external property or something like that)

c) Insert the ODF version(s) in the "description" field of the
document details on the OASIS website
Pro: easy to do
Con: some discipline is required, feels "ugly"

d) Add this version info in the meta info of the document itself
Pro: very easy and quick to do
Pro: you don't have to deal with other tools / hacks
Con: this would actually make atomic tests a little bit dirtier
(probably nitpicking, you could remove the data using a script
when you really want to remove every bit not part of the test)

d1) Using ODF's metadata functionality
d2) Adding elements in a separate namespace

e) Add this info in the package, in a separate file
Pro: somewhat cleaner than previous (since it should be ignored)
Con: ODF doesn't require a package (although most -  or all ? -
applications do)

f) create metadata docs, completely separate from ODF documents
Pro: clean solution
Con: very cumbersome to maintain

g) ??

Suggestions ? Remarks ? :-) Personally, I would opt for d1 or d2,
but thats's just my two cents...

Best regards,

Bart