oic message

Subject: Re: [oic] test documents and being smart with meta-data

I like the internal metadata approach, though wouldn't d1 require ODF 1.2
metadata support?

I think e is a clean approach.  I think all major implementations support
the ODF packaging model.

But one possible concern with any approach that stores the test metadata
in the document itself -- What happens when we mix this with document
signatures and encryption?  Any change to the metadata would require
changing the document, and therefore would break the integrity of the
signature and would require re-signing.

Not a huge problem perhaps.  But something to consider.

Approach f avoids that problem.  You could do it via parallel documents.
So foo.odt would always be accompanies by foo.xml, where foo.xml contains
the test metadata.

Note that these approaches could be harmonized.  Look at what Adobe does
with XMP image metadata.  It can be on the side, in a parallel file, what
they call a "sidecar" file.  But it can also alternatively be embedded
directly in an file, in cases where the file has a defined way of adding
metadata, such as in JPG files.

-Rob