oic message

Subject: OIC TC Meeting, 2008-11-19, Minutes

OASIS INTEROPERABILITY AND CONFORMANCE (OIC) TC
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 Coordination Call
    14:30 - 15:30 GMT

1. LOGISTICS

The meeting was called to order by Chairman Bart Hanssens at 14:35 GMT.  There were some logistic difficulties preventing everyone being able to call in.

1.1 ATTENDANCE AND QUORUM CHECK

    QUORUM: 7 of 10 Voting Members at start (6 required)

    MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE

    + Jeremy Allison
    o Zaheda Bhorat
      Donald Harbison
    * Robert Weir
    * Andreas Guelzow
    * Dennis Hamilton
    * Bart Hanssens
      Doug Mahugh
    * Alan Clark
      Andrew Rist
    * Tom Rabon
    * Michael Brauer
    + Louis Suarez-Potts

      [* = Voting Member at start of meeting;
       + = Voting Member upon conclusion of meeting
       o = Observer]

    MEMBERS ABSENT

      Charles Schulz
    * Alex Wang
    * Mingfei Jia
      Pierre Ducroquet
      Thorsten Zachmann
      Aslam Raffee
      Michael Cziebalski
    * Daniel Rentz
      Jerry Smith

      [* = Voting Member]

[NOTE: Mingfei Jia and Michael Czielbalski reported during the meeting that they were unable to get into the conference call using the available access numbers.  Mingfei Jia was able to access the OIC Chat, but we did not take measures to have him able to participate in actions of the TC.  In the future, when there are members only able to enter the meeting via the chat because of technical difficulties, the secretary will note agenda stages and proposed actions so that participation in the meeting is possible.  In all other respects, the chat is meant to be supplemental and not a substitute for participating in the teleconference.]

1.2 ACCEPTANCE OF PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES [1] - with one change

    Change: Add Zaheda Bhorat as having attended the 2008-10-29 meeting as an observer.

[NOTE: Observers are not required to announce their attendance.  If they choose to, they will be noted on the minutes and shown in the on-line attendance records.  Although observers are not named during the roll call, from now on the Secretary will ask at the end of the roll call whether there are other attendees who were missed or who wish to be recognized as attending.]

1.3 ACCEPTANCE OF TODAY'S AGENDA [2] - Without change.

2. STATUS OF ACTION ITEMS
   Bart worked through the action items
   #0000 Wiki is up and running and now available for use.  NOW CLOSED
   #0001 Contacting the Open Document Fellowship - it was mentioned that the test suite is copyrighted by Intel at the University of Central Florida.
ACTION: Rob will provide Bart with the Intel contact and the UCF contact.
   #0002 The chatrom is configured [and we had heavy attendance].  NOW CLOSED
   #0003 Directory structure layout for use because the Wiki will not take downloads.  Request to Mary McCrae to have additional directories for submitting test documents has been carried out.  NOW CLOSED
   #0004 Contact Rajiv Shah and David Marsten about his ODF paper and experience with testing, Marsten is willing to give a presentation on one of our calls.  We are checking on having an informal teleconference where he speaks about his experience with testing (11-26 is tentative date)
   #0005 Having Jira set up for OIC-TC, we will be able to have a Jira instance in December.

3. DISCUSSION OF OASIS TOOLS

3.1 WIKI
    Bart suggests we try using it and if we have difficulty use the help and contact him.  Bart has already put in considerable content and there is a starter organization.

3.2 CHAT
About ten of us were successfully in the chat and we learned that Mingfei Jia could not dial in through his arrival in the chat.

3.3 DOCUMENT REPOSITORY
Bart reported on the structure of the expanded directory.
ACTION: Bart will describe the structure and intended use in an e-mail
Link: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oic/documents.php [requires member log-in]

4. FEEDBACK OF ODF SESSIONS - OOoCon2008 CONFERENCE

Rob Weir provided a report on the panel:

There was a spirited debate on Wednesday.  Thursday workshop had presentations and interoperability exercises: ODF 1.2 metadata, UOF, ... presentations.  Exercises were on ODF 1.2 OpenFormula.  The implementations are close and there was a high level of success even with the absence of a specific formula specification in the current OASIS Standards for ODF.  The Rajiv Shah test documents were available to work with although those documents will not be generally available until the research is published. Some independent translators were working with ODF.  There were many other presentations including a statistical analysis of ODF feature usage.

There is an ODF Toollkit Project that is an open-source project independent of OpenOffice has been started.  http://odftoolkit.org/

Florian Reuter gave a short workshop on interoperability between OpenOffice and Microsoft Office.

Donald Harbison added that there were University of Paris participants on accessibility also.

Bart reported that the videos of presentations should be available at the conference web site soon.

5. DELIVERABLES: TEST DOCUMENTS

5.1 GETTING STARTED WITH ATOMIC TESTS
Bart suggests that we should get started, pick one topic and create one or two test documents.  Bart started with a document that is not in a package and see how it works.  We should create a few of our own and see where we run into a need for clarification.  Discussion.  Pick a particular section or feature.  Dennis raises his hand to work on scenarios involving templates.

5.2 CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS

ACTION: Look at the Wiki to see what scenario is being examined and we announce our interests and work on the Wiki.  Bart has started there.  http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/

Rob suggested that we could also do this as part of a call to run through ideas about what we could do, and we might add presentations in meetings as soap-box time for presentation of their ideas.

6. ROUND TABLE

Louis asked if we have deadlines for the test documents and templates that we will come up with.  Bart reviewed that the deadlines in the charter are for a report on the state of interoperability in March and also for releasing batches of test-corpus documents starting with the current 2008 quarter.
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/oic/charter.php

7. FUTURE MEETING PLANNING

Informal meeting for 26th to be confirmed.

Next formal meetings 3rd December, and also 17th December.  No meeting December 31. Resumption in 2009 is with 14 January.

Rajiv Shah will be invited to an informal meeting slot or another time if necessary to accomodate his availability.

7.1 NEW BUSINESS

ACTION: Create a non-member list like the office-users list, as a place for public discussion of ODF Interoperability and Conformance.

7.2 CURRENT SCHEDULE - see above.

ADJOURNMENT

[1] OIC TC Meeting, 2008-10-29, Minutes
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200811/msg00006.html

[2] [oic] Groups - TC Meeting, 2008-11-19, Agenda added
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200811/msg00015.html