oic message

Subject: OIC TC 2009-02-11 Coordination Call Minutes

OASIS INTEROPERABILITY AND CONFORMANCE (OIC) TC
   Wednesday, February 11, 2009 Coordination Call
   14:30 - 15:30 GMT

1. LOGISTICS
   ---------

The chat room: http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/oic (doesn't count as attendance)
The call-in numbers: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200810/msg00008.html
The action items (log-in required):
  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oic/members/action_items.php

1.1 ROLL CALL AND QUORUM CHECK
The meeting was called to order by Chair Bart Hanssens at 14:36 GMT
The Roll Call confirmed that 8 of 13 Voting Members are in attendance (7 required) and there is a quorum

    MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE

    * Bart Hanssens, Fedict (Chair)
    * Mingfei Jia, IBM
      Donald Harbison, IBM
    * Robert Weir, IBM
    * Dennis Hamilton, Individual (secretary)
    * Stephen Peront, Microsoft
    * Alan Clark, Novell
    * Andrew Rist, Oracle
    * Michael Brauer, Sun Microsystems

      [* = Voting Member at start of meeting]

    MEMBERS ABSENT

      Charles Schulz, Ars Aperta
      Peter Junge, Beijing Redflag Chinese 2000 Software
      Alex Wang, Beijing Sursen International
    - Jeremy Allison, Google
      Pierre Ducroquet, Individual
    * Andreas Guelzow, Individual
      Thorsten Zachmann, Individual
      Doug Mahugh, Microsoft
      Tom Rabon, Red Hat
      Aslam Raffee, South Africa Dept. of Science & Technology
    * Michael Cziebalski, Sun Microsystems
    * Daniel Rentz, Sun Microsystems
    - Louis Suarez-Potts, Sun Microsystems
      Jerry Smith, US Department of Defense

      [* = Voting Member
       - = Voting Member status ended at conclusion of meeting]

1.2 ACCEPTANCE OF PREVIOUS MINUTES: 2009-01-21 Corrected Minutes Approved
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200901/msg00047.html
The agenda linked to the original uncorrected minutes.  Dennis described the one misspelling correction and the minutes were approved as corrected.

1.3 ACCEPTANCE OF TODAY'S AGENDA
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200902/msg00005.html

2. STATUS OF ACTION ITEMS
   ----------------------
   The action items (log-in required):
  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oic/members/action_items.php
   [Only currently-open items are reviewed]

NEW ACTIONS AGREED:

Mingfei Jia: Send description to the list of ways to reduce the number of documents and to iteratively develop some composite test documents.

Rob Weir: Come up with a sketch/proposal of what we want for test-case submissions.

CURRENTLY-OPEN ACTION ITEMS:

#0001 Contact still needed, Walter Bastion will be contacted by Rob Weir, who has met him.

#0013 Familiarization with Wiki: Kept Open

#0014 Potential Events: Louis absent, item kept open

#0015 Create Template Scenario: Dennis had started but wants to rework it and expand it before closing the item this week.

#0016 Start Explosion of 1.1 Specification on Wiki: Dennis has started and now wants to complete the Package section, adding minimum parts that packaging depends on, and also having more structure for analysis, identification of normative cases, and hooking up test assertions, conformance, and interoperability cases.  That will be completed prior to the next meeting.  There was more discussion of ways to apply this, automate what we can, etc. (below)

#0018 Create a feature checklist based on the ODF Schema.  Michael has offered document how he uses a style sheet and XSLT to make table of elements and their attributes that someone else can use.  He points toward the ODFToolkit.org resources.

#0019 First Draft on the State of Interoperability.  Rob proposes a rough draft skeleton with some muscle by the end of next week for discussion on the 25th.

#0020 Stephen Peront on scenarios - to the wiki - will work this week and before next meeting.  He and Dennis are going to put their heads together and see how to blend in scenarios on the Wiki.

#0021 Bart wants review and consideration of the metadata proposal and how the metadata might be generated or gathered, we discussed this more too.

3. DELIVERABLES
   ------------

3.1 TEST DOCUMENTS

There was discussion of how and where to get more test documents.

Bart has made one test document using his own schema, and there are those provided by Professor Shah.
Stephen is working to get some test documents released that relate to business as well as ones that are automation-related.
Rob suggested that if we wrote up requirements for test documents we could put out a public call for contributions, saying what we needed in a test, providing a submission form.  The idea would be to request documents that people are having interoperability problems with.  Rob took an action to dig into this after the State of

Mingfei had an idea for adding a test case to a document that we build up some cases in.  The major idea was making a test document be around some feature of some application, not create so many test documents.  Because the specification has so many elements having one test per element is inconvenient and will present too many tests to be run.

We discussed putting associated metadata in the package of the test document.  There was speculation on the different stages of development, having a command-line tool for creating test xml, running an application, etc.

3.2 ASSESSMENT METHOD SPECIFICATION

We are starting to think in terms of the "Big Picture" of inter-related components and what we need to put the pieces together.  (http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200902/msg00004.html)

Bart asked us to be thinking about the practical aspects of doing as much as possible in an automated way

3.3 STATE OF INTEROPERABILITY

This was discussed in the action item review (#0019).

On questions about what we would say about implementations and their availability, Rob confirmed that it is not going to be an evaluation of implementations, it is more the state of activities around interoperability, etc., not intending to mention any vendors by name.  Discussion of the first report being more qualitative because there is no testing regime yet, could be a list at the end of resources and where there is information on what is available with regard to interoperability.
 Bart suggests focusing on efforts and not software products, such as the toolkit, the testing software at other places, the materials at the Document Interoperability Initiative, ODFToolkit.org, and so on.  It is efforts and tools and activities related to the promotion of interoperability that the report will feature.

3.4 ODF PROFILES

We discussed how we should also give some advice to the ODF TC about profiles.  Bart has a few lines on the wiki.  He observed that there are no ODF profiles on specific document types although there is an appendix on feature sets of typical documents of the major kinds.  We are invited to think about what sort of profile could be developed and go through ODF Appendix D and see what could be suggested back to the ODF TC.

4. ROUND TABLE
[We exhausted the time and did not start a round table.  The following discussion branched out from the status of the Specification Explosion onto the Wiki (#0016).

We all need to be thinking about scenarios.

With regard to the expansion of the specification into a Wiki hypertext that can be cross-linked to analysis, conformance cases, test cases, test documents, and interoperability scenarios, we discussed a number of aspects:

  - it is simple to create the specification on the Wiki being fairly straight-forward
  - how to out test cases into the wiki, make XML for test cases, have as much automation in the test case workflow as possible going into and out of the wiki?
  - Bart - creating scenarios will probably all be a manual activity
  - Discussion of a spreadsheet that has all of the elements and attributes that are in the schema
  - Rob Likes what we are doing in exploding the specification and having our hands on the specification on the Wiki so we can take a look at it at a fine-grained level
  - The big picture is related to what the efforts are and how they are tied together, where do test documents go, etc., how they interact
  - An alternative might be to see what the Test Assertions TC format is and see what we can build on the Wiki that can be
  - We're talking about in the thousands and perhaps even tens of thousands of test items at some point

5. FUTURE MEETING PLANNING

5.1 NEW BUSINESS
   None beyond the brainstorming we did.

5.2 CURRENT SCHEDULE

   The next meeting is on Wednesday, 2009-02-25

6) END OF MEETING

   Adjourned at 15:36 GMT