oic message

Subject: OIC TC 2009-03-11 Coordination Call Minutes (approved)

[These are the approved minutes with the corrected date and title.  There are no changes to the content. - dh:2009-03-25]

OIC TC 2009-03-11 COORDINATION CALL MINUTES (Approved)

Date:  Wednesday, 11 March 2009
Time:  13:30 - 14:30 UT

1. LOGISTICS
   ---------

The chat room: http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/oic (doesn't count as attendance)
The call-in numbers: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200903/msg00017.html
   *** NOTE: A New Pass Code has been assigned for these calls.
The action items (log-in required):
  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oic/members/action_items.php

1.1 ROLL CALL AND QUORUM CHECK
The roll call confirmed a quorum with 8 of 10 Voting Members in attendance (6 required).
The quorum was preserved when Michael Brauer needed to leave the call early.

    MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE

      Peter Junge, Beijing Redflag Chinese 2000 Software
    * Bart Hanssens, Fedict (Chair)
    + Jeremy Allison, Google
    * Donald Harbison, IBM
    * Mingfei Jia, IBM
    * Robert Weir, IBM
    * Dennis Hamilton, Individual (secretary)
    * Stephen Peront, Microsoft
    * Michael Brauer, Sun Microsystems (partial)
    * Daniel Rentz, Sun Microsystems

      [* = Voting Member at start of meeting
       + = Voting Member upon conclusion of meeting]

    MEMBERS ABSENT

      Charles Schulz, Ars Aperta
      Xiaohong Dong, Beijing Redflag Chinese 2000 Software
      Alex Wang, Beijing Sursen International
      Pierre Ducroquet, Individual
      Andreas Guelzow, Individual
      Thorsten Zachmann, Individual
      Doug Mahugh, Microsoft
    * Alan Clark, Novell
    * Andrew Rist, Oracle
      Tom Rabon, Red Hat
      Aslam Raffee, South Africa Dept. of Science & Technology
      Michael Cziebalski, Sun Microsystems
      Louis Suarez-Potts, Sun Microsystems
      Jerry Smith, US Department of Defense

      [* = Voting Member]

1.2 ACCEPTANCE OF PREVIOUS MINUTES: 2009-02-25 Minutes Approved without objection
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200902/msg00101.html

1.3 ACCEPTANCE OF TODAY'S AGENDA Approved with without objection after addition of 4.1 report on possible engagement from Rob Weir

2. STATUS OF ACTION ITEMS
   ----------------------

   The action items (log-in required):
   http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oic/members/action_items.php
   [Only currently-open items are reviewed]

#0001 Contact OpenDocument Fellowship - Weir - pending

#0014 List of 2009 event opportunities Suarez-Potts - transferred to Don Harbison and to carry out with the ODF Adoption TC

#0015 Create Template Scenario - Hamilton - postponed, to be done before next meeting

#0016 Experimental 1.1 Spec Analysis - Hamilton - postponed - to close with report by next meeting

#0018 Document making checklist from schema - Brauer - there's a link on the Wiki and an uploaded document.  There is a style sheet on the ODF Toolkit sight that we can now evolve and work with.  Closed.
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200902/msg00105.html

#0019 First draft on "State of Interoperability" - Weir - in progress with 03-16 target for posting

#0020 Adding proposed scenarios to wiki - Peront - questions on organization to be discussed on the list.  Closed, with proposal of two new action items for (1) the process of adding scenarios and (2) how to submit material
#0022 Proposal on granularity of test documents - Jia - The proposal was posted.  This item is closed.
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200902/msg00093.html
    Mingfei shared his latest thinking and suggested that we need other action items such as creation of the SVN structure for holding test cases and also proposed metadata (see 3.1).  We will continue to develop on list and wiki.  Bart expects at some point we create a single document that spells it out and is adopted as our approach, perhaps with several levels of test case.

#0023 Outline for test case submission - is part of the ongoing continuation after #0022

#0024 Contact OASIS on SVN Commit Messages - Hanssens - Although OASIS is looking into procedures around SVN usage, we do not expect near-term resolution on the automated posting of commit messages to the OIC TC list.  Dennis found that the way to limit the clutter is to do commits at most once per day, since the likelihood of collisions is very slight at this point.

#0025 ***NEW*** Contact EU IDABC about ODEF connection with OIC - Hanssens.  This item came out of agenda item 4.1.

3. DELIVERABLES
   ------------

3.1 TEST DOCUMENTS

  Bart has been submitting some documents on SVN, and combined a few test cases.  He started on ODF metadata and text fields.

  Bart is attempting to follow Mingfei's idea of a small number of documents with several cases per document. We discussed appropriate granularity for test documents.  There seem to be several options, feature unit level, etc.  Mingfei gave us his latest thinking: start with small test documents to cover all the features of the specification, the second phase would involve complex test documents combining different features together to fit some complex scenarios.  Bart sees three types, live documents also representative of scenarios, small specific test documents for specific, fine-grained feature function, and then something in between where there are multiple items built up iteratively in a larger document.

  Rob reported on instrumenting a consumer to determine the features are being used.  This can be done by analysis of the XML directly.  Rob has some Python code and noticed that attributes by element needs to be understood, along with values of attributes.  We discussed the prospects for a tool that could let anyone assess a document for what elements and attribute usage is, with the result in a reusable XML document.  We could collect and datamine those to see what elements and element-attribute combinations are showing up.  We might also see what features are being supported and used.  We also need to find out what elements are supported in an implementation and learn which ones are not implemented at all.  How to tell what feature is supported can be done with different kinds of tests.  There was mention of existing validators, separate from analysis tools like this.

3.2 STATE OF INTEROPERABILITY - not discussed pending availability of the first draft

3.3 ODF PROFILES

   Bart noted that ODF TC has some discussion on ODF 1.x moving Appendix D into the standard itself.  Rob described the idea on having levels for conformant document types that have a higher, more-specific floor than plain conformance at this point.   but not clear how much interest there is in having some labeled conformance targets that have a higher floor than plain conformance at this point.
   There was brief mention of conformance levels and how they work in OpenFormula at the moment.

4. ROUND TABLE
   -----------

4.1 POSSIBLE ENGAGEMENT OPPORTUNITY

   Rob Weir remarked that there are different ideas on a plugfest, virtual versus in-person, versus perpetual, etc.

   In addition, There's an ID ABC group that produced the European Interoperability Framework for eGovernment.  It sounds like there is going to be an Open Document Exchange Format (ODEF) project to establish required features for administrative documents.  (The "Open Document" in ODEF is generic, not specific to "OpenDocument".)  We're wondering if there is a formal connection that we could make, because it is an important initiative that seems related to what we are involved in.
<http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/6474>.  Bart gave himself the action to dig deeper (#0025).

5. FUTURE MEETING PLANNING
   -----------------------
   We are continuing on the 13:30 - 14:30 UT call times until the US time-zone adjustment on November 1.
   Local times for the 2009-03-25 call are the same as for today's call.  European time-zone adjustment for summer time will happen before the first call in April.

6. END OF MEETING
   The meeting was adjourned at 14:28 UT

Respectfully submitted,

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org