oic message

Subject: OIC TC 2009-02-25 Coordination Call Minutes

OASIS INTEROPERABILITY AND CONFORMANCE (OIC) TC
   Wednesday, February 25, 2009 Coordination Call
   14:30 - 15:30 GMT

1. LOGISTICS
   ---------

The chat room: http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/oic (doesn't count as attendance)
The call-in numbers: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200810/msg00008.html
The action items (log-in required):
  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oic/members/action_items.php

1.1 ROLL CALL AND QUORUM CHECK
The roll call confirmed a quorum with 9 of 11 Voting Members in attendance (6 required).

    MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE

    * Bart Hanssens, Fedict (Chair)
      Jeremy Allison, Google
    + Donald Harbison, IBM
    * Mingfei Jia, IBM
    * Robert Weir, IBM
    * Dennis Hamilton, Individual (secretary)
    * Stephen Peront, Microsoft
    * Alan Clark, Novell
    * Andrew Rist, Oracle
    * Michael Brauer, Sun Microsystems
    * Daniel Rentz, Sun Microsystems
      Louis Suarez-Potts, Sun Microsystems

      [* = Voting Member at start of meeting
       + = Voting Member upon conclusion of meeting]

    MEMBERS ABSENT

      Charles Schulz, Ars Aperta
      Peter Junge, Beijing Redflag Chinese 2000 Software
      Alex Wang, Beijing Sursen International
      Pierre Ducroquet, Individual
    - Andreas Guelzow, Individual
      Thorsten Zachmann, Individual
      Doug Mahugh, Microsoft
      Tom Rabon, Red Hat
      Aslam Raffee, South Africa Dept. of Science & Technology
    - Michael Cziebalski, Sun Microsystems
      Jerry Smith, US Department of Defense

      [* = Voting Member
       - = Voting Member status ended at conclusion of meeting]

1.2 ACCEPTANCE OF PREVIOUS MINUTES: 2009-02-11 Minutes Approved
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200902/msg00024.html

1.3 ACCEPTANCE OF TODAY'S AGENDA
    The agenda was accepted with three modifications:
     - At the end of action items: review of recent discussions on the list
     - Add discussion of the interop event to discussion of test documents
     - Discuss the scheduling of future meetings in the face of change of
       some local times for the Northern Hemisphere summer

2. STATUS OF ACTION ITEMS
   ----------------------

   The action items (log-in required):
   http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oic/members/action_items.php
   [Only currently-open items are reviewed]

#0001 Contact OpenDocument Fellowship - Weir - yet to be done
#0013 Become active on the wiki - all - not specifically actionable enough, closed
#0014 List of 2009 event opportunities Suarez-Potts - in process
#0015 Create Template Scenario - Hamilton - postponed, to be done before next meeting
#0016 Experimental 1.1 Spec Analysis - Hamilton - to close with report by next meeting
#0018 Document making checklist from schema - Brauer - in progress
#0019 First draft on "State of Interoperability" - Weir - started (see deliverables 3.3)
#0020 Adding proposed scenarios to wiki - Peront - questions on organization to be discussed on the list
#0021 Working draft on metadata - Hanssens - is on the wiki, discussion invited, item closed
    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=31053&wg_abbrev=oic (ODT)
    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=30984&wg_abbrev=oic (RNG)
    http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/TestScenario/Metadata (earlier wiki page)
#0022 Proposal on granularity of test documents - Jia - discussed under deliverables - open
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200902/msg00093.html is list note of today
#0023 Outline for test case submission - Weir - transferred to MingFei Jia since started in his item
#0024 Contact OASIS on SVN Commit Messages - Hanssens - NEW ITEM

For the benefit of those who have difficulty wading through all of the SVN commit messages to see what has been discussed, Bart gave a summary of the topics that have been discussed:
 - the interoperability event,
 - how to use subversion,
 - interoperability for forms, namespaces
 - character set problems for Asian language support

3. DELIVERABLES
   ------------

3.1 TEST DOCUMENTS
    Mingfei reported on his proposal to reduce the number of test cases by having documents that exercise a number of features.
 http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200902/msg00093.html describes the issues with some preferences stated.
    The first issue is to agree on granularity of test documents.  Three levels are described and more considered.
    The second issue is with regard to the test-case and test-document submission process.  There are also questions on
how we organize tests on SVN or elsewhere and how they are tied to the specifications and other materials.  Mingfei has a draft process in his email to the list.
    There was a concern about going around in circles and we can only break out of that by creating test cases and test documents and using the experience to determine what works best.

3.2 INTEROPERABILITY EVENT
    There is a concern that, in having an interoperability event, we may run into a problem of it being turned into a product shoot-out, especially if we open up the event.
    On the general idea that we would probably need about 40 test cases for an even, Rob suggested that we wait until we have about half that many to see what that shows us about the kind of event to have for conformance and interoperability trials.
    We shall continue to discuss this on the list.

3.3 STATE OF INTEROPERABILITY
    The proposed outline and some additions are on the wiki at
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/The_State_of_ODF_Interoperability
Having looked at OASIS templates, Rob suggests that the template for case studies is closest to the kind of report we are to prepare.  Rob Weir is using that format to write a draft based on the outline and additions on the wiki page.

3.4 ODF Profiles
Bart Hanssens has proposed a set of profile levels based on the levels used in the ODF OpenFormula specification working draft.  There is a wiki page at
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/ODFProfiles
and there has been further discussion at
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200902/msg00063.html
and an accompanying document
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=31334&wg_abbrev=oic

4. ROUND TABLE
We exhausted the time and did not start a round table.

5. FUTURE MEETING PLANNING
We discussed the two-step time-change coming, where the US and Canadian time zones move one hour closer to GMT at 02:00 local time on Sunday, March 8, followed by Europe moving one hour farther from GMT later in early April.  (There is a symmetrical two-step in October-November).   China does not adjust its time.
   We discussed whether the practice of keeping the US local time unchanged or keeping the China local time unchanged was the desirable move.  There will be a TC poll to determine the preference among the members so that it is resolved before our next call on March 11.

6. END OF MEETING

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org