oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] test documents - Symbolic Links? - EMPIRICAL RESULTS

Dennis,

thanks for the testing.

Now, Windows shortcuts aren't links, although ntfs does offer 'real' links using
mklink on Vista and 7, but as demonstrated, SVN might not be able to use it
directly, and (for now) SVN lacks the share file feature of VSS :/

So, I'll rework the lot and make it more SVN-friendly, without the symbolic links.

(not sure if Mac supports links, but this being and ODF test, not an file system
/ OS interop test, I'm not inclined to have that one tested as well :-)

Best regards

Bart

From: Dennis E. Hamilton [dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 8:12 PM
To: Hanssens Bart; oic@lists.oasis-open.org

I was going to be cute and make a Windows shortcut in place of the link
file, then see what SVN would do with that when I did a SVN Commit, and then
what would happen for you when you were to do an SVN Update.

Unfortunately, I can't do that.

I can't do that because the link (below) is not over a path that exists from
that place in my working tree.  And I get everything that the OIC SVN Server
has.  It appears that the packages file is meant to be a directory, but on
SVN and on my computer it is none of those, it is a file with a link in it.

So there appear to be even more problems with this approach.

 - Dennis