oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] Confused about the purpose of the Interop Profile

The ODF market as a whole includes web applications and mobile
applications, for example.

If we were doing a web profile of ODF, then we might constrain features as
needed to enhance interoperability among ODF web editors.  So a web
profile might limit embedded images to JPEG, GIF or PNG formats, since
those are the formats commonly supported in web browsers..  A mobile
profile might constrain the types of ZIP compression algorithms that are
allowed, since that would reduce the memory footprint on the device.

The distinction between a Desktop PPA interop profile and the "whole
market" is that the "whole" ODF allows behaviors that are not
interoperable among desktop PPAs.  So ODF 1.1 is a superset of the
behaviors which would be allowed in the desktop PPA profile.  For example,
one can have a conformant ODF document and use implementation-dependent
ZIP compression algorithm, embedded image formats, spreadsheet formula
languages, etc.  A desktop PPA profile can provide further constraints for
these items.

I wouldn't get caught up on the question of whether these items belong in
ODF itself, or in an interop profile.  We're not limited to doing only
one.  It is quite common for a profile of revision N to inform revision
N+1 of a standard.  Look at the W3C profile of HTML+SVG+MathML and how
those ideas are being merged into HTML5.  If we do our job well on this
TC, many of our ideas will in fact be relevant to ODF 1.3 or ODF 2.0 in
the future.  But there is still value, to user and implementers to
defining these items as a profile of ODF 1.1.

-Rob

Cherie Ekholm <cheriee@exchange.microsoft.com> wrote on 03/23/2010
01:07:04 PM: