oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] Confused about the purpose of the Interop Profile

Cherie Ekholm <cheriee@exchange.microsoft.com> wrote on 03/19/2010
06:07:39 PM:

> Back to the Interop Profile. It would be perfectly appropriate to
> have a profile that, for instance, prohibited the embedding of
> macros in the interest of enhancing portability, if the profile was
> for a vertical that targeted portability or archiving. Or so says
> the charter of OIC and so seem to say the explanations Rob and Bart
> have provided. That does not appear, however, to be what this
> profile under discussion does. This profile seems to broadly target
> interoperability among office suites.

Fair point.  I think it would be better if we named this profile, "ODF
Interoperability Profile for Desktop Personal Productivity Applications",
which unambiguously places it in scope of the horizontal domain profiles
mentioned in #5 of the Scope statement.

> Interoperability is great. Advocating it is the basic charter of
> this TC. However, the charter also specifically limits creating
> normative profiles to verticals and horizontals. The entirety of the
> market, by definition, is neither of those.

I agree.  Thus the suggestion to focus on the specific horizontal domain
of desktop personal productivity applications for this profile.  It
doesn't make sense to have a single interop profile deal with the entire
market, since the needs of desktop PPAs differs from mobile apps which
differs from web-based editors.

Regards,

-Rob