oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] ODF 1.1 compatibility / manifest:version in ODF 1.2

PS: A feature and the specification is of no value if implementations will ignore it because they have interoperability requirements that trump such fussiness.  It would be good for us to face that and recommend ways that the situation can be mitigated.  The Interoperability aspects of ODF adoption are presumably a primary interest of this TC.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 11:12
To: 'Andreas J Guelzow'; 'oic@lists.oasis-open.org'

As I was saying ...

How about when the specification is simply wrong?  Would you not make advisories about that?  Or a security problem with the recommended encryption?  Would you not mitigate that, even if it meant going outside of the requirements of the spec?

I think pragmatism is valuable in these situations.  The idea is to foster interoperability, not create meaningless barriers and breakage.

 - Dennis