Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Re-focusing on the proposed Charter

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote on 06/09/2008 04:33:20 PM:

> 2008/6/9  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com>:
> >
> > Sorry, I've been otherwise engaged today.  I'll need to go back and read the
> > traffic from today, but it looks like we may be prematurely solving the
> > interoperability problem, when we really need to first agree on a charter
> > and then form a TC.
> >
> > Believe me, once we have a TC in place for this, we'll have an OASIS-hosted
> > Wiki.  We'll also have mailing lists, action items trackers, document
> > libraries, etc.  We'll have the ability to create subcommittees.  We'll have
> > conference calls, face-to-face meetings if we want, etc.  We'll have all
> > that infrastructure stuff available.  But the way the OASIS infrastructure
> > is set up, this is all tied to TC membership, and until we have a TC, we
> > can't tap into all that.
>
> Not much point when we don't even have common terms of reference Rob.
> I was hoping that by sharing a document which by agreement became
> this groups output we could short circuit endless repeated emails.
>
> Seems not.

I'd give it some more time before short circuiting.  For every person who is confused now there are problem 3 or 4 other people lurking who haven't thought about it enough to be confused yet.  Confusion is the start of progress.  The fact is that words like "interoperability" are thrown around by marketing departments so much that we've been dulled to what they mean.  All we know is we want more if it.  It will take a few iterations on this list before we all penetrate the surface and come to a common understanding of what the technical challenge before us actually is.

Regards,

-Rob