orms message

Subject: Minutes of the 2008-05-28 ORMS TC telecon

Followning are the minutes of the 2008-05-28 ORMS TC telecon.

Action items are prefixed with #.

> Date:  Wednesday, 28 May 2008
> Time:  05:00pm - 06:00pm ET
>
> Agenda:
>
> 1. Call to order
> - Verify Minute Taker
> - Roll Call
>
> 2. Status Report on Charter Clarification vote (close on 29 May at 11:45pm
> ET)
>
> 3. Status Report and Discussion on Terminology Glossary creation
>
> 4. Status Report and Discussion on Use Cases.
>
> 5. Other Business
>
> 6. Adjournment>

MINUTES

> 1. Call to order
> - Verify Minute Taker

Drummond volunteered to take minutes.

> - Roll Call

Tony took roll call:

George Fletcher
JJ Moortgat
Jeffrey Broberg
Vadim Lander
Drummond Reed
Daniela Bourges Waldegg
Robert Daly
Anthony Nadalin
Bruce Rich
Paul Trevithick
Lauren Davis
Peter Davis
Jeff Hodges
William Tan
Dorothy Gellert
Frederick Hirsch
Nat Sakimura
Tatsuki Sakushima

> 2. Status Report on Charter Clarification vote (close on 29 May at 11:45pm
> ET)

Tony asked everyone to make sure to vote.

He also said that the roster of elgible voting members may not be correct
for the vote; the TC administrator and chairs are working on this.

> 3. Status Report and Discussion on Terminology Glossary creation

JeffH reported on the email he sent to the list entitled "First pass on
terminology" about the wide variety of prior work in this area.

	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/orms/200805/msg00113.html

It is mostly references to papers in this general area. His recommendation
is that we leverage what has been done, primarily by choosing the subset of
the references we believe are most relevant and useful, and then working
from them.

In his email, Jeff provided some examples of how this could work. He used
some of the definitions from Daniella's presentation.

Daniella explained that she created these definitions from her own study of
the area.

# DANIELLA to post the sources she used in an email to the list.

JeffH recommended a specific paper by Pinyol called, "How to Talk About
Reputation Using a Common Ontology". He felt that it is the most relevant to
what we are trying to do. It also has a

Jeff also found a PhD thesis from Quinn from last year that also addresses
defining inputs and outputs and reputation normalization.

# JEFF will send out a reference cited in Quinn's thesis to a set of papers
from Golbeck -- in particular Golbeck's thesis. (DONE)

	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/orms/200805/msg00116.html

Tony summarized the path forward on terminology:

* TC members will review the cited papers.
* Then we will winnow out the terms we most need, and work towards consensus
definitions.
* Jeff also suggested that we develop a UML model, much as the one in the
Pinyol paper.

# ALL TC MEMBERS to read over the terminology and papers suggested so far.

> 4. Status Report and Discussion on Use Cases.

Nat ran through an explanation of the PAPE Use Case he posted to the list
shortly before the call:

	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/orms/200805/msg00111.html

Tony asked if the Auditor can input reputation data from other sources
besides RPs. Nat clarified that yes, other sources can be used.

Drummond asked whether an RP had to engage in a verified transaction with an
OP in order to provide reputation feedback (similar to eBay, where only
verified parties to a transaction can provide feedback to each other). Nat
said that this is not shown but could be reflected as a requirement in order
to validate the reputational feedback.

Tony asked Daniella if she was going to submit the use cases she presented
at the opening F2F to the TC repository.

# DANIELLA agreed that she would do that.

JeffH mentioned a book by Daniel Solove, "The Future of Reputation", that
covers many use cases touching on reputation, anonymity, privacy, etc. He
recommends it in particular for the use cases it contains, many of which he
feels are relevant to the TC.

> 5. Other Business

The only other business was to accept the minutes of the May 21 telecon. TC
members have not had a chance to review it yet.

# TONY to put this item on next week's agenda.

> 6. Adjournment

JeffH moved to adjourn. The motion was accepted.