Subject: RE: Products and subtypes in stepmod;Re: A small textual addition onmodule 1022 "Part and version identification";Re: [plcs-dex] Interfacespecification

IMHO these are discussions all stem from the "language pictures the world" philosophy, prevalent in popular culture. I have been arguing for many years that we should adopt a "language talks about the world" approach.

If I go to a robot grocery store and order "three green apples", I do not care what view of the world the robot has, as long as it behaves in the correct way. Green could be anything from a spectral analysis by the robot's eye to a reference data element download from a remote server. It is the behaviour that matters.

This approach has enormous advantages when dealing with process sensitive data, such as PDM data. For example, the meaning of the term "issued" is entirely dependent on the point in the process chain where "issue" occurs. In BAE SYSTEMS, for maturing products (transition from prototype to production) the "issue" point moved from the production and verification of the product model as CAD to the point where the complete manufacturing package - including models for design, condition of supply, condition of spare, manufacturing process plans etc - could be "issued".

I propose that the distinction between "product" and "document" is one of configuration control process. A product is controlled in its own right, whereas a document is a container used to control something else. A good analogy here is sending a book by courier. The bookshop controls the product (the book), however the courier controls the container (the envelope).

The implication is that any change to an assembly is directly associated to the part within the assembly to be changed - "replace part 123 with 124" - the part identifier is referenced (as is covered in the configuration identification section of the configuration control plan [Les and Gordon - excuse me if I am not up to date with the latest fad in CM terminology].)

A change to a document is associated to the physical realisation of the document, either in terms of page number or chapter number (e.g. "replace pages 23-42"). This does not directly identify the element to be changed, but simply point to where to find it, and the identifiers do not form any part of a configuration management plan. For example, if we add a new entity to a module, then many of the section numbers for existing entities will change, and no-one will care.

The difference in philosophy is between a drawing that may contain parts, and a part that may be represented in drawings. STEP has had a major impact on the move to parts based control from drawing based control, spawning the multi-billion dollar PLM industry in the process.

Therefore
1) An interface specification is a subtype of product, if and only if the identifiers of interface elements are controlled through a configuration plan, and not generated from a document that contains them.

2) the physicality of software is irrelevant to its classification w.r.t. to {document, product} if this an exhaustive partition of the space of "thingies".

3) therefore if the "physical realization" is criterion, then one would need to create a different upper level ontology or subclassify the existing ontology.

Point. (as the French say)

FYI I attach the ontology analysis of PLCS subtypes made as part of a separate study, together with some indications of the KB approach to classification used in the study.

Sean Barker
ATC Filton
0117 302 8184