Subject: Re: [plcs-dex] What is a DEX

Hmm, the last sentence in [2] below "...the DEX information model" is a
subset of ISO 10303-239 as in [1]... I am not sure I understand the
distinction except that "DEX" can mean either a (subset) model or
instance data according that same model, which is essentially [2]. Note
that [1] is "just" a model while [2] is model and data...

So, DEX means both "a model" and "instance data as exchanged" according
to your unconfused suggestion. ?

Regards,
Per-Åke

Rob Bodington wrote:
> Mats Nilsson raised the question before "What is a DEX" and pointed out that
> we use the term DEX to mean two different things.
>
> 1) A DEX identifies a subset of the ISO 10303-239 (PLCS) information model
> required to support a set of identified arrows and activities in the ISO
> 10303-239 Activity model.
>
> 2) A DEX is also used to refer to a package of data that is exchanged. I.e.
> the actual data that is exchanged in accordance with the DEX information
> model.
>
> To avoid confusion, I propose that we refer to the second use of DEX as "DEX
> data sets".
>
> Regards
> Rob

Per-Åke Ling         email: per-ake.ling_AT_eurostep.com   .~.
Eurostep AB          mobile: +46 709 566 490              / v \
Vasagatan 38         http://www.eurostep.com             /( _ )\
SE-111 20 Stockholm                                        ^ ^